Winners of ASBU BroadcastPro ME Awards announced at gala ceremony
The fourth edition of the annual ASBU BroadcastPro ME Awards concluded on November 11, Tuesday. Eighteen awards were given to trendsetters and visionary market leaders for thinking out-of-the-box and taking the industry forward. It was a celebration of innovation and technology.
The forum that preceded the gala was attended by Her Excellency Mrs. Sameera Ebrahim bin Rajab, Minister of State for Information Affairs, Bahrain and gathered top broadcasting experts and professionals in the Middle East. Topics covered by the forum mostly included the following:
• Creating content for an Arab audience - what works and what doesn’t!
• Reality TV versus Drama production - which one is more successful?
• Telenovelas, reality shows or acquired content – the way forward to ensure continuous viewership
• Production funding and incentives
• Support for local players vs international productions
2. TRADITIONAL PLAYERS (BROADCASTERS &TELCOS) VS OTT
• Will traditional broadcast and telco operators survive the onslaught of OTT?
• Is the traditional pay TV model over?
• Integrating OTT into the traditional broadcast ecosystem
• The Tech Debate: The world is not round, it is parallel – The technology that will drive this forward. A look at the GPU vs CPU debate
• The way forward. What can traditional players on both the telco and broadcast side do to enter mainstream OTT
3. THE HOT SEAT – CTO panel
• Most broadcasters have just completed the migration to HD. 4K already on the cards?
• How to effectively manage the commercial and strategic expectations of the management through technology
• OTT and new media platforms – handling change
• Transitioning from a traditional broadcast system to an IT-integrated one – Piece of cake or Herculean task
• Cloud – take it or leave it?
• Software-defined networks – What does it mean?
• Is it profitable to run a TV business in the Middle East?
• OTT encroachment on traditional Pay TV territory
• Anti-piracy - where do we stand?
• New markets, new platforms – the strategy for success in the region?
• Expectations for the coming year
• Advertising in the MENA market
MENA Satellite Operator of the Year – Es’hailsat
Outstanding Achievement in Satellite – SES
SatellitePro Editor’s Choice Award – GulfSat Communications
A special recognition award was presented to Mohammad Shihadah, CEO of Apptek. Shihadah has made immense contribution to the field of human language technologies by making machine translation relevant to broadcasters.
Innovative Production of 2014 – DMI for Dubai World Cup production. for the Best Long-Form Production – Clacket Media for Al Ikhwa and Etana.
Best Studio Set of the Year – Production House for the Alarab News Channel newsroom and studios
2014 MENA Systems Integrator – Qvest Media
ASBU BroadcastPro ME 2014 Innovative Project Award – Sky News Arabia
ASBU BroadcastPro ME 2014 Technical Achiever – Hamad Abdelrazaq of LIVE HD
Broadcast Project of the Year – Alarab News Channel
Outstanding MENA OTT Initiative – Go by OSN
Best Telco/Broadcast initiative – ChannelSculptor
MENA Broadcast Trendsetter Award for 2014 – Selevision for breaking new ground with its HbbTV offering
CTO of the year – Dominic Baillie of Sky News Arabia
State Broadcaster of the Year – Saudi Broadcasting Corporation
Outstanding TV programme of the Year – OSN’s Mousameh Karim
Special Regional Project Award – Mazika, ArpuPlus